Friday, January 16, 2015

GATTACA Essay

In the movie GATTACA directed by Andrew Niccol made in 2007 is about an “in-valid” young man,Vincent, who tries to change many major things about him to become “valid” to live his long dream of going into space.


    There is one quote in the beginning of the movie that I believed had a lot of meaning behind it. “This child is still you, simply the best of you. You could conceive naturally a thousand times and never get the same results” said the Genetic counselor (GATTACA Niccol). This quote means that one can continue to keep trying for another child but each child will come out differently. One’s child will not come out perfectly without health problems or genetic features. No matter what the child still has the parents genetic identity and that can not be changed.


    Through out the film there were numerous recurring symbols such as glass/water also being an obstacle that Vincent must face. For example, Vincent wears glasses due to the fact that he’s near cited. His glasses is one way to know that he is “in-valid” because one who is “valid” is far cited. Moving on, he must wear contacts to look just like Jerome’s eyes.
    Vincent needs almost everything from Jerome, such as: urine samples, blood, fingerprints, and contacts to be “valid”. Both Jerome and Vincent get a significant amount of benefits out of their relationship. Vincent gets what he needs to be able to go to space and Jerome gets the reputation of it. Since Jerome can not walk or have the heart to not give up, he will be one to be known for going into space.


    I would like to take the opportunity to select special traits for my child, but I would be happy either way my child would turn out. Even if my child had traits I did not chose I would accept my child no matter what.

    Concluding, this movie has made me change my perspective on people how some people do not feel accepted and try to change themselves. If I lived in a world like Jerome and Vincent it would be very difficult to live a certain life like they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment